LIVE YOUR VALUES

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Book Review: Dracula


Author: Bram Stoker

Audio Book: from LibriVox

Rating: 4.5/5

This is my first review for an audio book. You wouldn't think it would be different than writing a review for a regular novel but it is! I just realized I've never seen the characters names written!

I must admit that I am impressed! Not by the fact that this was an audio book but by how well written the novel was. The story just seemed to "flow" so smoothly and Stoker was descriptive without being too wordy. Everyone "knows" about vampires but I had never read the book before. I had no idea how the original vampire stories began. I thoroughly enjoyed just sitting and listening to Stoker describe the events as they unfolded. The novel is told through the journal entries of the main characters. Originally I did not think I would enjoy this format but it ended up giving you insight to what each character was thinking and feeling in a way that is different from most novels.

If you haven't read (or listened) to Dracula I would highly recommend picking it up. I was very different from what I was expecting. Even if you think it might "not be your style" it may be worth giving it a try!

I was surprised by how long it took me to actually listen to the book. I kept falling asleep. Not because it was boring, just because I was tired.

Want to read it online? Go here. I found this online version from Literature.org

6 comments:

BookGal said...

I read Dracula a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I've found that audio books are a different experience. For me, they are very dependent on who is reading and how well it is read.

Unknown said...

I read Dracula a number of times in high school. Once when I played Harker in our high school production and once when I did an educational package for the Stratford Festival. It's a wonderful book. Makes me want to read it again. Have you noticed how many blogs are writing about audio books lately? I just did one on Monday.

Lezlie said...

I've had the same problem when reviewing audio books. I still don't know how to spell "Gyltha" correctly! :-)

Lezlie

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have "Dracula" on my 888 list...and I am looking forward to it. I don't listen to many audio books...mostly because I have the kids in the car with me...and somehow what I want to listen to is not an option :-). We have listened to quite a few children's books - "Sea of Trolls" by Nancy Farmer was excellent.

Framed said...

I read Dracula last fall and really liked it. It would be fun to listen to it on audio. I do have a hard time listening to books because I get distracted. Mostly I do it on long drives, but I will keep this one in mind for the next trip.

Melissa said...

I really need to get around to reading this one. Everyone seems to really like it, but all I know of it is that bad movie with Gary Oldham in it from 10 years ago (or so). Perhaps I ought to change my perception?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...