LIVE YOUR VALUES

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

WRAP UP: Book Awards Reading Challenge

I actually finished up with a little time to spare so hopefully I'll be able to add a few extras to the list. Unfortunately, I did not consider keeping my original list completely intact so some of my first intentions have disappeared. Others have not!

Booker Prize
1. 1997 The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy 4.2.08 REVIEW
2. 2000 The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood 5.12.08 REVIEW

Gold Dagger Award
3. 1993 Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell 3.16.08 REVIEW

National Book Award
1990 Sophie's Choice by William Styron
4. 2003 Three Junes by Julia Glass 8.5.07
5. 2006 The Echo Maker by Richard Powers 11. 26.07 REVIEW

Pulitzer Prize
6. 2003 Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides 1.26.08 REVIEW

PEN/Faulkner Award
7. 2002 Bel Canto by Patchett 4.30.08 REVIEW

PEN/Hemingway
1988 The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton

Newbery Award
8. 1994 The Giver by Lois Lowry completed REVIEW

Bram Stoker Award
9. 1992 The Blood of the Lamb by Thomas F. Monteleone 2.2.08 REVIEW

World Fantasy Award
1989 Koko by Peter Straub

British Children's Book of the Year
10. 2007 The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (John Boyne) 3.20.08 REVIEW

  • 3 Irish Book Awards: the Novel of the Year, the People's Choice Book of the Year, and the Children's Book of the Year. It won 2 awards
Nebula Award
11. 1966 Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes) 3.8.08 REVIEW

Panorama Literario Award: Chile
12. 1983 The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende) 4.26.08 REVIEW
  • Best Novel of the Year, Chile 1983
Alternates on my Bookshelf(those that I have picked for other challanges--i colored reddish)

  • The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

  • Plague’s Progress by Arno Karlen

  • Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

  • A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman

  • Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lamb

  • Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje

  • Holes by Louis Sachar

  • A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

  • Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt

  • We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel

  • The Throat by Peter Straub

  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

  • The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx

  • Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
  • There were three books I originally set out to read and did not. There was Sophie's Choice, which I will still be reading for The Decades Challenge. Koko is the second. I'm still interested in reading it. It is VERY long but still looks very good. I went to pick up the Book of Ruth the other night and after reading the back and some reviews I decided i would rather stick sharp objects in my eyes than read this book. It sounds so depressing and miserable. I have no idea what motivated me to add it to my list the fist time. Probably the fact the I owned it.

    My Favorite Books from this Challenge? This is tough there were some really good one. I would have to pick

    • Bel Canto
    • The Giver

    With the Boy in the Striped Pajamas and Flowers for Algernon coming in close behind.

    Those I didn't like so much from this Challenge?

    • House of the Spirits--I hated it.

    I was also disappointed in Middlesex but not nearly the way I hated House of the Spirits.

    BOOK AWARDS READING CHALLENGE

    1 comment:

    Juliann in WA said...

    Well done. I have been working on this challenge and hope to finish one day but not before the oficial end.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...