LIVE YOUR VALUES

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday Salon # 7


Going back to teaching (finally) and a broken laptop meant less blogging and reading for me the past few weeks. I still managed to read a few books and post a few reviews. School is out in four days and then I'm free until August!!! I finished reading Magic Study by Maria Snyder, I Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis and When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra by Colin Falconer. I was able to review Magic Study and I, Mona Lisa.

Notice I still need to write my reviews for Bel Canto and both Oz books. I'll get to it eventually.

CURRENTLY READING:

Parasite Rex: Carl Zimmer. On page 171/245. I still find this pretty interesting but I need to change my recommendation for everyone else. Even I am getting pretty sick of reading about parasites. There is only so much you can take. This book should probably be read in small chunks and not all in one dose. It is also more scientifically detailed than I originally thought. I think a layperson may find themselves lost after a few pages. I'm not sure though. To me everything seems very clear. I'm familiar with it. To someone who isn't one on one with biology all the time it may be a little more difficult to read. In small chunks and with some determination I think most people who pick up this book will find it fascinating. just note it won't be a walk in the park to get to the end.

The Things They Carried: Tim O'Brien. I'll be cracking this open after I finish this post.

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:

The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton

I blogged about this in my last Sunday Salon. Still enjoying it. Is it bad that I use this guys voice to help lull me to sleep?

I also started Ozma of Oz, the third book in the Oz series.

WHAT I BOUGHT THIS WEEK (what showed up from PaperBack Swap)

  • The Perfect Royal Mistress by Diane Haeger
  • Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
  • The Ottoman Cage by Barbara Nadel
CHALLENGE UPDATE:

Magic Study gave me a check mark for
  • "S" author for A - Z Reading Challenge
  • Spring Reading Thing 2008
When We Were Gods gave me a check for

  • "F" author for A - Z Reading Challenge
  • Spring Reading Thing 2008
  • Book Around the World Challenge
  • Orbis Terrarum
  • Historical Reading Challenge

I, Mona Lisa gave me a check for

  • "I" Title for A - Z Reading Challenge
  • Book Around the World Challenge
  • Orbis Terrarum
  • Spring Reading Thing 2008
  • Historical Reading Challenge
Book Binge finished the end of May. Here are my completed books.

  1. The Blind Assassin: Margaret Atwood
  2. Uglies: Scott Westerfeld
  3. Magic Study: Maria Snyder
  4. I, Mona Lisa: Jeanne Kalogridis
  5. When We Were Gods a Novel of Cleopatra: Colin Falconer
  6. Parasite Rex (171/245)
I joined the Book Awards Reading Challenged II and the Classics Challenge.

2 comments:

Serena said...

This is a great book: The Things They Carried: Tim O'Brien.

I hope you enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I love how you post the challenge updates. I need to do that more often...actually, I think I have done that only once...lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...