LIVE YOUR VALUES

Monday, February 25, 2008

Book Review: White Oleander

Author: Janet Fitch

Pages: 480

Genre: Fiction

Personal Rating: 3/5

From the back cover:


Everywhere hailed as a novel of rare beauty and power, White Oleander tells the unforgettable story of Ingrid, a brilliant poet imprisoned for murder, and her daughter, Astrid, whose odyssey through a series of Los Angeles foster homes -- each its own universe, with its own laws, its own dangers, its own hard lessons to be learned -- becomes a redeeming and surprising journey of self-discovery.

Take 200 pages from this book and it would have been great! As it was, it went on forever. How much horror can a teenager take? Apparently 480 pages of it. Don’t get me wrong, I found the story very interesting and Fitch is a great write. Overall I liked it. I’m just still hung up on those 480 pages.

I would go into a little detail about everything that happens to this girl and her "strange" mother but really you need to read it for yourself.

4 comments:

Jeane said...

Is this an Oprah book? I can't quite read the round sticker on the cover.

Juli said...

Hi Jeane

Yep, it was an Oprah book.

Lauren said...

Uhoh! I've got this one on my list to read for the What's in a Name challenge too!

Alessandra said...

I've just started this book, I hope I can resist through all the 480 pages then...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...